Southsea Silverware

Quob pre-match

It was a dark and stormy night……….Actually it wasn’t, it was the warmest weather we’ve had at Quob stables since this year’s Indoor Winter League started, and a couple of days before the ‘Beast from the East’ is due to rear it’s ugly head again.

Southsea were up against Shedfield A in the ‘Silver’ Final, and the evening got off to a fine start as they were drawn at the other side of the arena from ‘Horsepee corner’ where an earlier match against Portchester was played.  Just perfect for ‘groupie’ Ray to be able to watch from the warmth of the cafe.

Trevor had selected 3 doubles of Rod/Trevor, Dawn/Andy, and Maureen/Peter, and coming off the back of a victory against Shipmates in the High Level Roofing Trophy only 2 days earlier spirits were high and the team’s skills had been honed.

A boule sails through the air after a shot from Peter

The first round went well.  All 3 Southsea teams scored a victory, and everyone’s chuckle muscles were working well with only 2 wins from 6 games required in the next 2 rounds.  A quick win in around 20 minutes for Dawn/Andy meant a score of 4-0 in games, and Southsea were poised to snatch an early victory.  Dawn/Andy watched on as Maureen/Peter battled David/Sue from Shedfield.  12-12 and the Shedfield two-some managed to plant a boule millimetres in front of the jack a full 9 metres away.  A difficult situation on such a bouncy terrain.  Peter missed a shot by a hairs breadth, and neither his shooting nor Maureens hard pointing could shift the boule. 

Shift target to Rod/Trevor.  Unfortunately for those 2 Bob Bish was on inspired shooting form, and in the few ends I personally watched he hit 5 ‘Au fer’ shots in a row without a single miss. Extremely difficult at Quob, and almost impossible to play against (10 m jacks in the next round it is then!}.  So at the end of the second round it was 4-2 in games.  Southsea still favourites, but a slight shift from 4-0 up. 

Each team was now knowledgeable that in the third round their single win could well be required if the other 2 doubles fell short.  With no knowledge of the other games scores every Southsea player dug deep and hard into their reserves, and this resulted in 3 wins as the match went right to the time-up point.

An eventual overall win for Southsea with a score of 7-2, the score not really reflective of how hard fought the match was.

Some of the club went for a ‘victory curry’ after the match.

Victory curry.


Leave a Reply